Monday 9 March 2009

Sora wo Kakeru Shoujo - Episode 8

Even though I still don't have a clue why I like it (which isn't really an ideal condition for an anime 'Blogger to be in while watching anime), I've rather missed having some new Sora wo Kakeru Shoujo episodes to watch recently, so actually found myself smiling once episode eight dropped at my disposal. Oh Leopard, what thinly veiled references to genitalia will you amuse us with this time?


Perhaps disappointly, the answer is "none", but I digress - The end of the last episode and the beginning of this one finally started to bring some sense to the over-arching storyline of the series, bringing us the full story of both the past and the forthcoming conflict between Leopard (with the help of the Shishidou foundation) against Nerval, a runaway AI who seems to have a bit of a problem with the humankind who created him.

Just as we reach this moment of clarity however, we're sideswiped completely be a sudden descent into a weird dragon-like creature stealing Leopard's cooling system, ghosts with a penchant for nice-looking heads and octopodes. Of course, none of this makes any sense at all, but then again, who cares? If nothing else, I was impressed by Kannagi's anti-ghost equipment, which would put the Ghostbusters to shame any day of the week.

Yet again, Sora wo Kakeru Shoujo has managed to be oddly entertaining largely on account of not taking itself at all seriously, throwing in some half-decent and thoroughly random jokes and mixing it up on this occasion with an even more random plot that even an Internet random script generation web site couldn't manage. Quite frankly, it has absolutely no right to be anything other than rubbish of the highest degree.... the trouble is, it's such entertaining rubbish that I can't help but enjoy watching it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"it has absolutely no right to be anything other than rubbish of the highest degree...."

Not exactly a ringing endorsement, is it? I don't imagine I'm going to miss out on anything insightful if I skip this, the dregs of winter season anime.

Michael said...

But that's been the main quality of a lot of shows recently... You wonder why you're watching something like this, or Minami-ke Okaeri, or Hyakko last season, etc. but there are not what I would call true blockbusters of anime at the moment. Yet they are still very entertaining and I wouldn't go without them. They're just a bit hard to really go "WOW" over and explaint them to others.

The only real quality show at the moment would have to be Clannad, but then it's about to end... And I know I'm setting myself up for disappointment, but I have high hopes that the new Haruhi show will be as good as the first. ^_^